Savvy homeowners have known for years that energy-efficient products will help them save money on their cooling and heating costs. But what makes a door energy efficient? The most common features of energy-efficient doors include the use of materials such as fiberglass, wood cladding, or steel, with a polyurethane foam core, tightly-fitted weather stripping, and insulated glass panes (if door design includes glass).
Energy Star, a program created by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), has been tasked with identifying and promoting energy–efficient products in order to reduce energy consumption.
To be considered energy-efficient, products must be:
- Are manufactured by an ENERGY STAR partner,
- Are independently tested, certified, and verified by the National Fenestration Rating Council (NFRC), and
- Have NFRC ratings that meet strict energy efficiency guidelines set by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
But for homeowners living in High-Velocity Hurricane Zones (HVHZ) energy-efficiency is just one part of the equation as potential damage from severe weather storms requires protection. Recognizing the need for energy-efficient impact products, manufacturers began manufacturing energy-efficient impact windows and doors.
Estate Entrance Series 450 Doors:
The Estate Entrances Collection from CGI combines style, beauty, and strength into a unique line of entry doors on the market today. The Collection offers a wide variety of door styles, finishes, hardware choices, glass types, and sizes. In addition to an amazing looking entry for your home, you also get a hurricane and intruder resistant product that is durable and requires much less maintenance over time than wood doors.
- 2” thick (nominal) door panels
- Complete frame and threshold weatherstripping
- LoE 366 and LoE 270 (optional)
Therma-Tru Impact Doors:
Therma-Tru’s impact rated products are a better way to protect your home against severe storm damage, including heavy winds, rain, and flying debris. And, like other Therma-Tru products, they offer beauty and style for strong curb appeal.
- Enhanced performance against air/water infiltration by maximizing the seal between the door and the frame.
- A polyurethane foam core. Therma-Tru fiberglass doors have a solid polyurethane foam core which is among the most energy-efficient door materials available today.
- Energy-efficient glass. Most Therma-Tru decorative, as well as privacy and textured, glass is triple-pane for reduced heat flow. Factory-coated Low-E glass options deliver exceptional energy efficiency.
In addition to offering energy-efficient impact options, Plastpro also brings the latest technology advancements to the industry to meet customer concerns. Hydroshield Technology® protects against water infiltration on all sides of the door, eliminating warp, corrosion, rot, delamination, mold, and mildew.
- Full-length composite top and bottom rails – Additional non-porous protection keeps water from seeping into the door and helps prevent the buildup of mold or mildew.
- Fiberglass reinforced skin – Fiberglass is unmarred by the wear and tear of everyday use and is unaffected by moisture and humidity. Our doors will not rot, splinter or warp like wood, and won’t dent or delaminate like steel.
- Full-length composite stiles – All Plastpro fiberglass entry doors feature full-length composite stiles to prevent water infiltration into the door and ensures our door will never warp, rot, or rust.